|This article is about the apparatus used to create potions. For the addition to one of the homesteads, see Alchemy Laboratory.|
Alchemy Labs allow you to create potions and poisons by combining ingredients that you find in the world.
All ingredients have four effects. You can learn the first effect of any ingredient by selecting it in your inventory and eating it. To learn the other effects, experiment with it.
At an Alchemy Lab, you can combine any two or three ingredients and attempt to make a potion with them. If the ingredients share at least one effect, you succeed: you get the resulting potion or poison and learn all of the effects that matched. If none of their effects match, crafting fails and you lose the ingredients.
The resulting item is a potion if its strongest effect is beneficial, and a poison if its strongest effect is harmful. Potions may have weaker harmful effects, and poisons may have weaker beneficial effects-it all depends on the effects of the ingredients you used.
To use a poison, you must have an equipped weapon. Activate the poison in your inventory to apply it to your weapon.
To use a potion, activate it in your inventory to drink it. If you drink two potions with the same effect, only the most powerful is applied, so wait for the first potion to wear off before drinking the next.
As you discover ingredients with matching effects, the Alchemy Lab menu will remember the matches for future use. Continue to experiment to learn new effects and find better combinations.
In general, there are alchemy labs in all alchemy shops. These include:
- Angeline's Aromatics in Solitude
- Arcadia's Cauldron in Whiterun
- Elgrim's Elixirs in Riften
- Grave Concoctions in Falkreath
- The Hag's Cure in Markarth
- The Mortar and Pestle in Dawnstar
- Thaumaturgist's Hut in Morthal, downstairs
- The White Phial, in Windhelm
Some inns and taverns also have an alchemy lab. These include:
- Dead Man's Drink in Falkreath
- The Ragged Flagon in The Ratway in Riften
- Sleeping Giant Inn in Riverwood (2)
Some Jarls' residences also have alchemy labs. These include:
- Dragonsreach, in Farengar's area
- Mistveil Keep, in Wylandriah's area
- Palace of the Kings, in Wuunferth the Unliving's quarters
- Understone Keep
All the Imperial Camps:
- Eastmarch Imperial Camp, located in the hills southeast of Windhelm.
- Falkreath Imperial Camp, located northwest of the city of Falkreath.
- Hjaalmarch Imperial Camp, located south of Ustengrav.
- Pale Imperial Camp, located west of Dawnstar.
- Reach Imperial Camp, located northeast of Markarth and west of Karthwasten.
- Rift Imperial Camp , located located in due west of the Ruins of Bthalft.
- Whiterun Imperial Camp, located east of Rorikstead.
- Winterhold Imperial Camp, located east of Dawnstar.
The Dragonborn can also purchase labs for the following homes:
Other locations include:
- Alchemist's Shack
- Alva's house in Morthal
- Anise's Cabin
- Ansilvund Excavation
- Black-Briar Manor
- Blind Cliff Bastion
- Bloodlet Throne
- Boulderfall Cave
- Broken Fang Cave
- Burguk's Longhouse
- Calcelmo's Tower
- Castle Dour
- College of Winterhold
- Cracked Tusk Keep, lower level
- Cragwallow Slope
- Cronvangr Cave
- Damphall Mine, across the pond and upstairs
- Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary
- Darklight Tower
- Deepwood Vale
- Drelas' Cottage
- Dushnikh Yal
- Dustman's Crypt
- Falkreath Stormcloak Camp
- Fellglow Keep
- Forsaken Cave, behind the secret door
- Fort Amol
- Fort Dunstad
- Fort Snowhawk
- Fort Sungard Shrine
- Haafingar Stormcloak Camp
- Haemar's Cavern
- Hag Rock Redoubt Ruin
- Hag's End
- Hall of the Vigilant
- Hjaalmarch Stormcloak Camp
- Hob's Fall Cave
- Honningbrew Meadery
- Ilinalta's Deep
- Irkngthand Arcanex
- Jorgen and Lami's house in Morthal
- Journeyman's Nook
- Karthspire Camp, in a tent just east of the camp
- The Katariah
- Knifepoint Ridge
- Movarth's Lair
- Nightcaller Temple, three of them
- Potema's Catacombs
- Rannveig's Fast
- The Ratway
- Sacellum of Boethiah
- Sarethi Farm
- Shrine to Peryite
- Shroud Hearth Barrow
- Sinderion's Field Laboratory
- Snapleg Cave
- Stony Creek Cave
- Sunderstone Gorge
- Tolvald's Cave
- Twilight Sepulcher
- Uttering Hills Cave
- Valtheim Towers
- White River Watch