There are two main kinds of "bounty" in Skyrim: bounties on the Dragonborn which accrue as they are witnessed committing crimes, and bounties issued for other NPCs or required services.
Bounties on the Dragonborn
A bounty can be put on the Dragonborn's head for committing crimes in one of the holds. These bounties accumulate until the Dragonborn either pays them or is caught and jailed.
It is possible to avoid these bounties by killing all the witnesses.
The potential crimes include:
- Stealing items, if noticed
- Stealing horses, if noticed
- Pickpocketing, if noticed
- Lockpicking, if noticed
- Killing farm animals (like chickens, cows and goats)
- Starting a fight (brawls which are solicited do not count)
- Killing non-aggressive NPCs (this can happen by accident, so be careful)
- Dropping a weapon outdoors in a major city can result in a warning from a guard, refusing to pick it up will result in a bounty.
- Transforming into werewolf form in public will give a 1000 bounty.
- Eating a corpse by using the Ring of Namira.
- Shouting in a town may result in a warning from a guard.
|00095129 (Bandit bounties)|
000bd780 (Forsworn bounties)
000bd791 (Giant bounties)
000cba9b (Dragon bounties)
000bc0a2 (Bounties on the Dragonborn)
A bounty can also be issued on other NPCs or for certain services: There are a number of bounties issued in the various Holds of Skyrim. These fall into four main categories: killing bandit chiefs or leaders, killing dragons, killing forsworn leaders or killing giants. These are issued by Jarls or their stewards and can be obtained from them or from innkeepers.
Bandit Chief bounties
|Silent Moons Bounty|
|Redoran's Retreat Bounty|
|Lost Tongue Overlook Bounty|
|Winter War Bounty|
|Dragontooth Crater Bounty|
|Steamcrag Camp Bounty|