The Speech skill is used to get better prices from merchantes and persuade, intimidate, or even bribe others.— Game description
Speech is one of the eighteen skills that is available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Speech is used to haggle, barter, persuade and intimidate. Speech is a skill all characters will use, unless actions are taken to avoid buying/selling or persuading.
- The Mercantile skill from the previous game was removed and combined with speechcraft, hence the skill speech.
|Haggling||None||Buying and selling prices are 10% better.|
|Speech 20||Buying and selling prices are 15% better.|
|Speech 40||Buying and selling prices are 20% better.|
|Speech 60||Buying and selling prices are 25% better.|
|Speech 80||Buying and selling prices are 30% better.|
|Allure||Speech 30, Haggling||10% better prices from opposite sex|
|Bribery||Speech 30, Haggling||Can bribe guards to ignore crimes|
|Merchant||Speech 50, Allure||Buy and sell from any merchant regardless of what they normally buy and sell|
|Persuasion||Speech 50, Bribery||Persuasion attempts more likely successful|
|Investor||Speech 70, Merchant||Invest in shops and increase available gold permanently in invested stores|
|Intimidation||Speech 70, Persuasion||Intimidation attempts twice as successful|
|Fence||Speech 90, Investor||Every merchant in world gains 1000 gold for bartering|
|Master Trader||Speech 100, Fence||Can barter stolen goods with any merchant you have invested in|
- Dro'marash, at the Riften stables
- Revyn Sadri, in Windhelm
- Ogmund the Skald, in Markarth
- Giraud Gemane, at the Bards College in Solitude
- Ysolda will increase Speechcraft for a Mammoth Tusk (one-time)
- Ronthil at Castle Volkihar, only in the Dawnguard DLC
- 2920, Second Seed, v5
- Biography of the Wolf Queen
- The Buying Game
- A Dance in Fire, v6
- A Dance in Fire, v7
There is also apparel for Fortify Barter.
- Talk to Ungrien, in Riften, in Black-Briar Meadery behind the front desk, say "Tell me about Maven Black-Briar." Then say "Come on, get the truth off your chest.(Persuade)" over and over until your speech is to 100. This has since been patched.